Friday, February 1, 2013

3. Social Interactions

When the question is stated, Does media take away from "real" social interactions, I never thought that it did. When I think of social medias such as, Myspace or Facebook, communication comes to mind first. This may be the only way someone is comfortable being themselves. I know I can say more of what I am thinking if I am chatting with another person or sending them an email instead of actually saying things in person. I hate being confrontational so an email is almost better, because both parties are able to react and then step to think about how to respond, instead of reacting in person and over reacting.

We all need people skills, but I think people are almost more open and honest when they are talking online because they do not leave as judged. We are unable to see facial reactions unless on a web cam. In the case of a web cam the social media is turned into personal interaction.

The case can always be made that social media has hurt of capibility to speak to people in person but this is not always true. As long as we do not let our lives be consumed by the way you speak online just in small talk, it will not affect out face to face time. You wouldn't go to a business meeting and instead of laughing you said, LOL... This would not go over well I am sure. But I believe that we are fully in control of how far we allow media language to blend into our everyday lives. I will also always stand up for social media, due to me meeting my husband online. Media is what brought us together and keeps us strong when he is away on business.

No comments:

Post a Comment